Memory of the World Register
Listing documentary heritage in the Registers
Eligible documentary heritage come in numerous forms: text items, non-text items, audiovisual items and virtual items. These include, but are not limited to, diaries, letters, manuscripts, posters, published books, wampums, art works, photographs, recordings, films as well as material made for the web (sites, games, online lessons, apps).
How to submit a documentary heritage nomination
Canada Memory of the World Register
The documentary heritage listed in the Canada Memory of the World Register traces important pieces of Canadian’s collective history and reflects the diversity of its peoples’ heritage.
- Eligible documentary heritage must be authentic, unique and irreplaceable, and must have a Canadian significance.
- Applicants must respond to CCUNESCO’s Call for Nominations with a Declaration of Interest. Once approved, the nominating entity will be asked to complete and return a Nomination form to CCUNESCO.
- The Canadian Advisory Committee for Memory of the World evaluates submissions and selects entries for the Register.
International Memory of the World Register (Canadian submissions)
To be listed in the International Memory of the World Register, inscriptions must trace an important piece in relation to the history of the world and to the heritage of humanity. International register entries are automatically listed in the Canadian Register.
- Eligible documentary heritage must be authentic, unique and irreplaceable, and must have a World significance.
- Applicants must respond to UNESCO Secretariat’s Call for Nominations by submitting a Nomination form to CCUNESCO.
- The Canadian Advisory Committee for Memory of the World evaluates nominations and recommends submissions for inscription to the International Register.
- The International Advisory Committee evaluates submissions and recommends entries for the International Register to the Director-General, for approval.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Canada Memory of the World Register
The Canada Memory of the World Register lists exceptional works and documents that reflect the wealth and diversity of Canada's documentary heritage.
- Canadian Pacific Railway Company Fonds (Canadian Railroad Historical Association, Exporail)
- Images of Quebec City and the surrounding area (1860 to1965): Photo archives of the J. E. Livernois Ltée fonds (Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec)
- Witnesses of Founding Cultures: Early Books in Aboriginal Languages (1556-1900) (Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec)
- The Scrapbook debates (Library of Parliament)
- Ida Halpern Fonds (Royal British Columbia Museum)
- The Vancouver Island Treaties (Royal British Columbia Museum)
Part of the Canadian register, the following works and documents are also inscribed to the International Memory of the World Register.
- The Hudson’s Bay Company Archival Records (Archives of Manitoba)
- The Quebec Seminary Collection, 1623–1800 (Musée de la civilisation du Québec)
- Norman McLaren's short film Neighbours (National Film Board of Canada)
- University of Toronto's collection on the Discovery of Insulin and its Worldwide Impact (Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library, University of Toronto)
- The documentary heritage of Marshall McLuhan (Library and Archives Canada, and University of Toronto Libraries)
- The documentary series Le son des Français d'Amérique, by Michel Brault and André Gladu (Cinémathèque québécoise)
- Philosophical Nachlass of Ludwig Wittgenstein (Austria, Canada, Netherlands and the United Kingdom)
Canadian Advisory Committee for Memory of the World
The committee reviews and evaluates submissions to the International and Canadian Memory of the World Registers.
- Chantal Fortier, Chair (Ontario)
- Camille L. Callison, Vice-Chair (Tahltan)
- Derek Cooke (Yukon)
- Yves Frenette (Manitoba)
- Lorraine O’Donnell (Quebec)
- Andrew Horrall, Ex-officio member, Senior Archivist (Library and Archives Canada)
- Hélène Laverdure, Ex-officio member, Conservatrice et directrice générale des Archives nationales (Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec, BAnQ)