The Canada Memory of the World Register
CCUNESCO supports nominees interested in submitting documentary heritage to the Canadian and international registers. With the input of the Advisory Committee, CCUNESCO manages the Canadian listing and makes recommendations for submissions to the international register. Registered entries will ultimately reflect the diversity of our heritage and the realities of our country, Indigenous peoples, regions, communities and individuals.
Call for Nominations
In collaboration with our Canadian Advisory Committee for Memory of the World, we are pleased to launch the third Call for Nominations for inscriptions on the Canada Memory of the World Register. We invite all individuals, private or public institutions, organizations and communities to consult the items below for more information on this process.
Listing documentary heritage in the Registers
Eligible documentary heritage comes in numerous forms: text items, non-text items, audiovisual items and virtual items. These include, but are not limited to, diaries, letters, manuscripts, posters, published books, wampums, art works, photographs, recordings, films as well as material made for the web (sites, games, online lessons, apps).
Canada Memory of the World Register
The documentary heritage listed in the Canada Memory of the World Register traces important pieces of Canadian’s collective history and reflects the diversity of its peoples’ heritage.
- Eligible documentary heritage must be authentic, unique and irreplaceable, and must have Canadian significance.
- Applicants must respond to CCUNESCO’s Call for Nominations with a Declaration of Interest. Once approved, the nominating entity will be asked to complete and return a nomination form to CCUNESCO
- The Canadian Advisory Committee for Memory of the World will evaluate submissions and select entries for the Register.
International Memory of the World Register (Canadian submissions)
To be listed in the International Memory of the World Register, inscriptions must trace an important piece in relation to the history of the world and to the heritage of humanity. International register entries are automatically listed in the Canadian Register. Please note that the International Memory of the World Register is not accepting new nominations until further notice. For more information on the comprehensive review of the program, visit: https://en.unesco.org/programme/mow/review.
- Eligible documentary heritage must be authentic, unique and irreplaceable, and must have global significance.
- Applicants must respond to UNESCO Secretariat’s Call for Nominations by submitting a nomination form to CCUNESCO.
- The Canadian Advisory Committee for Memory of the World evaluates nominations and recommends submissions for inscription to the International Register.
- The International Advisory Committee evaluates submissions and recommends entries for the International Register to the Director-General for approval.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.